Friday, February 1, 2013

Ruthann Milner

Today I am grateful for:

Ruthann Milner
 
Ruthann is my mother-in-law, and has become a wonderful to friend to me over the years.  I remember the first time I met her, I thought how very kind and even a little shy she seemed! She has put that myth to rest after getting to know her better!
 
Ruthann is a mother to anyone who needs one...and even to a few of those who don't.  She doesn't know the meaning of the words "stop", "sit down" or "take a break".  Whenever you are at her home, you will find Ruth at the stove, cooking or at the sink, finishing up dishes, or at the ironing board, you guessed it - ironing clothes!  Even with the physical limitations she has to deal with, she is always taking care of others. 
 
Ruth was a mom and a Grandma to our kids before Jeff and I were married - they relied on her for just about everything "mom related". Whether they needed school clothes, or had a project for school - Grandma would be there and ready to provide whatever assistance she could...and a snack!
 
I know that when I came into the picture and took over the "mom" duties, it must have been difficult for her, but she handled my intrusion with grace and dignity.  Now she can just be the "Grandma" and can provide the rescue and respite when our children needed one, and a snack!
 
I have learned so much from her.  She is a wonderful cook and even more talented baker. Rarely a day goes by wen she isn't sending over a sample of something freshly baked and delicious.  She has even begun to take over the meals for our neighbor and dear friend, Dorothy.  Dorothy is going to be 90 this April, and it was nearly a year ago that her health started to fail. Ruth noticed that Dorothy wasn't eating very well, and began to send over a meal or two every couple of days.  Now she is Dorothys full time "Meals on Wheels" representative, and she has her husband delivering 3 squares a day, rain, sleet, snow or shine.  In the years when someone should be cooking for her, she is still doing for others - just because she cares.
 
She never misses an opportunity to see if Jeff or I are in need of anything, and she calls just to see how everyone is doing.  She lives just one house away, but she maintains a respectful distance and never comes over uninvited...even though there is an open invitation for her!  She supports my endeavors - be it a 31 Party, a Nescafe "Anytime Indulgence" get together, and she hasn't missed a birthday party yet.
 
Growing up with such an amazing mom of my own, I never really considered what a mother-in-law could add to my life - but she has added so very much - I can't tell it all here!  She is warm-hearted, generous to a fault and funny all the time...even though she hurts so bad, I know she would rather be crying.  She never lets her pain distract her from her mission...be it a cake for a birthday, a meal for a sick neighbor or a listening ear for a new daughter-in-law.
 
God truly blessed me to be born of a fantastic example of a mother, but He made it just a little bit sweeter when he gave me a mother-in-law like Ruthann.
 
Thank you for everything, Mom. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment